What is the FreeBSD Foundation?
The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3), US based, non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and promoting the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. Funding comes from individual and corporate donations and is used to fund and manage projects, fund conferences and developer summits, and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers.
The Foundation purchases hardware to improve and maintain FreeBSD infrastructure and publishes FreeBSD white papers and marketing material to promote, educate, and advocate for the FreeBSD Project.
The Foundation also represents the FreeBSD Project in executing contracts, license agreements, and other legal arrangements that require a recognized legal entity.
What can I expect from the FreeBSD Foundation?
The FreeBSD Foundation will support both the development and the popularization of FreeBSD, the world’s best open source operating system. Here are some of the projects that the Foundation can and will support in the future:
- Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and developer community, including contract development of critical system infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM).
- Obtaining computers and other equipment for developers to use toward improving FreeBSD, such as the network performance cluster, FreeBSD.org cluster, and personal development systems for developers.
- Providing additional Internet infrastructure to aid in the development and distribution of FreeBSD.
- Support developer communication and coordination, including financial support for developer summits and developer travel.
- Encouraging the formation of FreeBSD user groups.
- Cultivating press coverage and advertising the utility and availability of FreeBSD.