What is the FreeBSD Foundation?
The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3), US based, non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and building the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. The Foundation gratefully accepts donations from individuals and businesses, using them to fund and manage projects, sponsor FreeBSD events, Developer Summits and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers.
In addition, the Foundation represents the FreeBSD Project in executing contracts, license agreements, copyrights, trademarks, and other legal arrangements which require a recognized legal entity. The FreeBSD Foundation is entirely supported by donations.
The FreeBSD Foundation will support both the development and the popularization of FreeBSD, the world’s best open source operating system.
What can I expect from the FreeBSD Foundation?
The FreeBSD Foundation will support both the development and the popularization of FreeBSD, the world’s best open source operating system. Here are some of the projects that the Foundation can and will support in the future:
- Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and developer community, including contract development of critical system infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM).
- Obtaining computers and other equipment for developers to use toward improving FreeBSD, such as the network performance cluster, FreeBSD.org cluster, and personal development systems for developers.
- Providing additional Internet infrastructure to aid in the development and distribution of FreeBSD.
- Support developer communication and coordination, including financial support for developer summits and developer travel.
- Encouraging the formation of FreeBSD user groups.
- Cultivating press coverage and advertising the utility and availability of FreeBSD.